surpassing Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb distinguish oneself
stand out; excel; surpass.
verb be or do something to a greater degree
exceed; surpass; outperform; outgo; outstrip; outmatch; surmount; outdo.
- her performance surpasses that of any other student I know
- She outdoes all other athletes
- This exceeds all my expectations
- This car outperforms all others in its class
verb move past
travel by; pass by; go by; go past; surpass; pass.
- A black limousine passed by when she looked out the window
- He passed his professor in the hall
- One line of soldiers surpassed the other
verb be greater in scope or size than some standard
transcend; exceed; surpass.
- Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds
adjective satellite exceeding or surpassing usual limits especially in excellence
adjective satellite far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree
prodigious; olympian; exceeding; exceptional.
- a night of exceeding darkness
- an exceptional memory
- olympian efforts to save the city from bankruptcy
- the young Mozart's prodigious talents
- Eminently excellent; exceeding others. "With surpassing glory crowned." Milton. -- Sur*pass"ing*ly, adv. -- Sur*pass"ing*ness, n.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters