surpass Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb distinguish oneself
stand out; excel.
- She excelled in math
verb be or do something to a greater degree
exceed; outperform; outgo; outstrip; outmatch; surmount; outdo.
- her performance surpasses that of any other student I know
- She outdoes all other athletes
- This exceeds all my expectations
- This car outperforms all others in its class
verb move past
travel by; pass by; go by; go past; pass.
- A black limousine passed by when she looked out the window
- He passed his professor in the hall
- One line of soldiers surpassed the other
verb be greater in scope or size than some standard
- Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds
Sur*pass" transitive verb
To go beyond in anything good or bad; to exceed; to excel.
This would surpass Common revenge and interrupt his joy. Milton.
Syn. -- To exceed; excel; outdo; outstrip.