verb distinguish oneself
stand out; excel.
verb be or do something to a greater degree
exceed; outperform; outgo; outstrip; outmatch; surmount; outdo.
- her performance surpasses that of any other student I know
- She outdoes all other athletes
- This exceeds all my expectations
- This car outperforms all others in its class
verb move past
travel by; pass by; go by; go past; pass.
- A black limousine passed by when she looked out the window
- He passed his professor in the hall
- One line of soldiers surpassed the other
verb be greater in scope or size than some standard
- Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds
Sur*pass" transitive verb
over + passer
to pass. See Sur-
, and Pass
imperfect & past participle Surpassed ; present participle & verbal noun Surpassing
- To go beyond in anything good or bad; to exceed; to excel.
This would surpass
Common revenge and interrupt his joy.
Syn. -- To exceed; excel; outdo; outstrip.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!