niggling Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb worry unnecessarily or excessively
niggle; fuss; fret.
- don't fuss too much over the grandchildren--they are quite big now
verb argue over petty things
niggle; squabble; pettifog; bicker; brabble; quibble.
- Let's not quibble over pennies
adjective satellite (informal) small and of little importance
little; petty; footling; piffling; trivial; piddling; fiddling; picayune; lilliputian.
- a fiddling sum of money
- a footling gesture
- our worries are lilliputian compared with those of countries that are at war
- a little (or small) matter
- a dispute over niggling details
- limited to petty enterprises
- piffling efforts
- giving a police officer a free meal may be against the law, but it seems to be a picayune infraction