noun a response of body tissues to injury or irritation; characterized by pain and swelling and redness and heat
noun the state of being emotionally aroused and worked up
excitement; fervour; fervor; excitation.
- his face was flushed with excitement and his hands trembled
- he tried to calm those who were in a state of extreme inflammation
noun arousal to violent emotion
noun the act of setting something on fire
kindling; firing; lighting; ignition.
: cf. F. inflammation
. See Inflame
- The act of inflaming, kindling, or setting on fire; also, the state of being inflamed. "The inflammation of fat."
- (Med.) A morbid condition of any part of the body, consisting in congestion of the blood vessels, with obstruction of the blood current, and growth of morbid tissue. It is manifested outwardly by redness and swelling, attended with heat and pain.
- Violent excitement; heat; passion; animosity; turbulence; as, an inflammation of the mind, of the body politic, or of parties.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!