excellence Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the quality of excelling; possessing good qualities in high degree
noun an outstanding feature; something in which something or someone excels
- a center of manufacturing excellence
- the use of herbs is one of the excellencies of French cuisine
, L. excellentia
- The quality of being excellent; state of possessing good qualities in an eminent degree; exalted merit; superiority in virtue.
Consider first that great
Or bright infers not excellence.
- An excellent or valuable quality; that by which any one excels or is eminent; a virtue.
With every excellence refined.
- A title of honor or respect; -- more common in the form excellency.
I do greet your excellence
With letters of commission from the king.
Syn. -- Superiority; preëminence; perfection; worth; goodness; purity; greatness.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters