exceeding Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb be greater in scope or size than some standard
transcend; exceed; surpass.
- Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds
verb be superior or better than some standard
transcend; exceed; top; overstep; go past; pass.
- She exceeded our expectations
- She topped her performance of last year
verb be or do something to a greater degree
exceed; surpass; outperform; outgo; outstrip; outmatch; surmount; outdo.
- her performance surpasses that of any other student I know
- She outdoes all other athletes
- This exceeds all my expectations
- This car outperforms all others in its class
adjective satellite far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree
surpassing; prodigious; olympian; exceptional.
- a night of exceeding darkness
- an exceptional memory
- olympian efforts to save the city from bankruptcy
- the young Mozart's prodigious talents
More than usual; extraordinary; more than sufficient; measureless."The exceeding riches of his grace." Eph. ii. 7. -- Sir P. Sidney. Ex*ceed"ing*ness, n. Obs.
In a very great degree; extremely; exceedingly.Archaic. It is not joined to verbs. "The voice exceeding loud." Keble.
His raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow. Mark ix. 3.
The Genoese were exceeding powerful by sea. Sir W. Raleigh.