noun the cardinal compass point that is at 90 degrees
eastward; E; due east.
noun the countries of Asia
noun the region of the United States lying to the north of the Ohio River and to the east of the Mississippi River
eastern United States.
noun the direction corresponding to the eastward cardinal compass point
noun a location in the eastern part of a country, region, or city
adjective situated in or facing or moving toward the east
adverb to, toward, or in the east
- we travelled east for several miles
- located east of Rome
, AS. eást
; akin to D. oost
, OHG. stan
, G. ost
, Icel. austr
, Sw. ost
, Dan. öst
, Lith. auszra
dawn, L. aurora
), Gr. , , , Skr. ushas
; cf. Skr. ush
to burn, L. urere
. , . Cf. Aurora
- The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the equinox, or the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and which is toward the right hand of one who faces the north; the point directly opposite to the west.
The east began kindle.
- The eastern parts of the earth; the regions or countries which lie east of Europe; the orient. In this indefinite sense, the word is applied to Asia Minor, Syria, Chaldea, Persia, India, China, etc.; as, the riches of the East; the diamonds and pearls of the East; the kings of the East.
The gorgeous East, with richest hand,
Showers on her kings barbaric pearl and gold.
- (U. S. Hist. and Geog.) Formerly, the part of the United States east of the Alleghany Mountains, esp. the Eastern, or New England, States; now, commonly, the whole region east of the Mississippi River, esp. that which is north of Maryland and the Ohio River; -- usually with the definite article; as, the commerce of the East is not independent of the agriculture of the West.
- Toward the rising sun; or toward the point where the sun rises when in the equinoctial; as, the east gate; the east border; the east side; the east wind is a wind that blows from the east.
East intransitive verb
- To move toward the east; to veer from the north or south toward the east; to orientate.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!