noun a connection (like a clamp or vise) between two things so they move together
noun a mechanical device that serves to connect the ends of adjacent objects
noun the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes
union; sexual union; pairing; conjugation; mating.
- the casual couplings of adolescents
- the mating of some species occurs only in the spring
verb bring two objects, ideas, or people together
pair; couple; mate; twin; match.
- This fact is coupled to the other one
- Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?
- The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project
verb link together
couple; couple on; couple up.
- can we couple these proposals?
verb form a pair or pairs
pair; pair off; couple; partner off.
- The two old friends paired off
verb engage in sexual intercourse
pair; couple; mate; copulate.
- The act of bringing or coming together; connection; sexual union.
- (Mach.) A device or contrivance which serves to couple or connect adjacent parts or objects; as, a belt coupling, which connects the ends of a belt; a car coupling, which connects the cars in a train; a shaft coupling, which connects the ends of shafts.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!