noun the thing arranged or agreed to
- they made arrangements to meet in Chicago
noun an orderly grouping (of things or persons) considered as a unit; the result of arranging
noun an organized structure for arranging or classifying
organization; organisation; system.
- he changed the arrangement of the topics
- the facts were familiar but it was in the organization of them that he was original
- he tried to understand their system of classification
noun the spatial property of the way in which something is placed
- the arrangement of the furniture
- the placement of the chairs
noun a piece of music that has been adapted for performance by a particular set of voices or instruments
noun the act of arranging and adapting a piece of music
Cf. F. arrangement
- The act of arranging or putting in an orderly condition; the state of being arranged or put in order; disposition in suitable form.
- The manner or result of arranging; system of parts disposed in due order; regular and systematic classification; as, arrangement of one's dress; the Linnæan arrangement of plants.
- Preparatory proceeding or measure; preparation; as, we have made arrangement for receiving company.
- Settlement; adjustment by agreement; as, the parties have made an arrangement between themselves concerning their disputes; a satisfactory arrangement.
- (Mus.) (a) The adaptation of a composition to voices or instruments for which it was not originally written. (b) A piece so adapted; a transcription; as, a pianoforte arrangement of Beethoven's symphonies; an orchestral arrangement of a song, an opera, or the like.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!