appreciation Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something
- he has a good grasp of accounting practices
noun delicate discrimination (especially of aesthetic values)
taste; perceptiveness; discernment.
- arrogance and lack of taste contributed to his rapid success
- to ask at that particular time was the ultimate in bad taste
noun an expression of gratitude
- he expressed his appreciation in a short note
noun a favorable judgment
- a small token in admiration of your works
noun an increase in price or value
- an appreciation of 30% in the value of real estate
A just valuation or estimate of merit, worth, weight, etc.; recognition of excellence.
Accurate perception; true estimation; as, an appreciationof the difficulties before us; an appreciationof colors.
His foreboding showed his appreciation of Henry's character. J. R. Green.
A rise in value; -- opposed to depreciation.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage, 2nd Edition Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars