am Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a radioactive transuranic metallic element; discovered by bombarding uranium with helium atoms
atomic number 95; americium.
noun a master's degree in arts and sciences
Artium Magister; MA; Master of Arts.
noun modulation of the amplitude of the (radio) carrier wave
verb have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun)
- John is rich
- This is not a good answer
verb be identical to; be someone or something
- The president of the company is John Smith
- This is my house
verb occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere
- Where is my umbrella?" "The toolshed is in the back
- What is behind this behavior?
verb have an existence, be extant
- Is there a God?
verb happen, occur, take place; this was during the visit to my parents' house"
- I lost my wallet
- There were two hundred people at his funeral
- There was a lot of noise in the kitchen
verb be identical or equivalent to
- One dollar equals 1,000 rubles these days!
verb form or compose
constitute; represent; be; comprise; make up.
- This money is my only income
- The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance
- These constitute my entire belonging
- The children made up the chorus
- This sum represents my entire income for a year
- These few men comprise his entire army
verb work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function
- He is a herpetologist
- She is our resident philosopher
verb represent, as of a character on stage
embody; be; personify.
- Derek Jacobi was Hamlet
verb spend or use time
- I may be an hour
verb have life, be alive
- Our great leader is no more
- My grandfather lived until the end of war
verb to remain unmolested, undisturbed, or uninterrupted -- used only in infinitive form
- let her be
verb be priced at
- These shoes cost $100
The first person singular of the verb be, in the indicative mode, present tense. See Be.
God said unto Moses, I am that am. Exod. iii. 14.