- noun someone who controls access to something
- there are too many gatekeepers between the field officers and the chief
- noun someone who guards an entrance
ostiary; door guard; doorkeeper; doorman; porter; hall porter.
More 'gatekeeper' Meaning
- noun the jaw in vertebrates that is hinged to open the mouth
jowl; lower jaw; submaxilla; lower jawbone; mandibula; mandibular bone; jawbone.
More 'mandible' Meaning
- noun someone who saves something from danger or violence
- noun someone who saves (especially money)
More 'saver' Meaning
- noun a holy war waged by Muslims against infidels
international jihad; jehad.
- noun a holy struggle or striving by a Muslim for a moral or spiritual or political goal
More 'jihad' Meaning
- verb bring into conformity with rules or principles or usage; impose regulations
regularise; regulate; order; govern.
- We cannot regulate the way people dress
- This town likes to regulate
- verb make regular or more regular
- regularize the heart beat with a pace maker
More 'regularize' Meaning
- noun the act of consuming food
- noun the act of supplying food and nourishment
More 'feeding' Meaning
- verb make a mathematical calculation or computation
cypher; compute; work out; reckon; cipher; figure.
- verb judge to be probable
figure; reckon; forecast; estimate; count on.
More 'calculate' Meaning
- noun New Zealand mountaineer who in 1953 first attained the summit of Mount Everest with his Sherpa guide Tenzing Norgay (born in 1919)
Hillary; Sir Edmund Hillary; Edmund Hillary.
More 'sir_edmund_percival_hillary' Meaning
- noun English explorer who led an expedition in search of the Northwest Passage to the orient; served under Drake and helped defeat the Spanish Armada (1535-1594)
More 'sir_martin_frobisher' Meaning
- noun the first event in a series
- she played Chopin for her opener
- the season's opener was a game against the Yankees
- noun a person who unfastens or unwraps or opens
undoer; untier; unfastener.
- children are talented undoers of their shoelaces
More 'opener' Meaning
- noun the noise of something spattering or sputtering explosively
splatter; spatter; spattering; sputtering; splattering; splutter.
- he heard a spatter of gunfire
- noun an utterance (of words) with spitting sounds (as in rage)
More 'sputter' Meaning
- verb be earlier in time; go back further
forego; predate; forgo; antedate; precede.
- Stone tools precede bronze tools
More 'antecede' Meaning
- noun someone who does not live in a particular place
- described by an admiring nonresident as a green and pleasant land
- adjective not living in a particular place or owned by permanent residents
- nonresident students who commute to classes
- nonresident real estate
More 'nonresident' Meaning
- noun a source of danger; a possibility of incurring loss or misfortune
endangerment; jeopardy; peril; hazard.
- drinking alcohol is a health hazard
- noun a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury
- he saw the rewards but not the risks of crime
- there was a danger he would do the wrong thing
More 'risk' Meaning
- noun bedding that keeps a person warm in bed
- he pulled the covers over his head and went to sleep
- noun anything that covers
- there was a blanket of snow
More 'blanket' Meaning
- noun a blow from a flat object (as an open hand)
- noun the taste experience when a savoury condiment is taken into the mouth
nip; tang; flavour; savor; savour; sapidity; flavor; relish.
More 'smack' Meaning
- noun a small worthless amount
diddlyshit; squat; shit; diddly-squat; diddly-shit; diddly; diddley; diddlysquat; doodly-squat.
- noun a man who serves as a sailor
Jack-tar; tar; old salt; sea dog; seaman; gob; seafarer; mariner.
More 'jack' Meaning
- noun English explorer who reached the South Pole just a month after Amundsen; he and his party died on the return journey (1868-1912)
Robert Falcon Scott; Scott.
More 'robert_scott' Meaning
- noun a detailed inspection of your conscience (as done daily by Jesuits)
- noun a critical study (as of a writer's work)
More 'examen' Meaning
- verb try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of
- The police are searching for clues
- They are searching for the missing man in the entire county
- verb be excited or anxious about
look to; anticipate.
More 'look_for' Meaning
- verb decorate with needlework
- verb add details to
dramatize; dramatise; embellish; blow up; pad; lard; aggrandise; aggrandize.
More 'embroider' Meaning
- noun a branch of biology that studies biological phenomena and observations by means of statistical analysis
More 'biometry' Meaning
- noun a learned person (especially in the humanities); someone who by long study has gained mastery in one or more disciplines
scholarly person; bookman; student.
- noun someone (especially a child) who learns (as from a teacher) or takes up knowledge or beliefs
More 'scholar' Meaning
- noun a scientist who devotes himself to doing research
researcher; research worker.
- noun someone who investigates
More 'investigator' Meaning
- noun a painful or straitened circumstance
- the pinch of the recession
- noun an injury resulting from getting some body part squeezed
More 'pinch' Meaning
- noun (classical mythology) a hero noted for his strength; performed 12 immense labors to gain immortality
Alcides; Herakles; Heracles.
- noun a large constellation in the northern hemisphere between Lyra and Corona Borealis
More 'hercules' Meaning
- noun any distinct time period in a sequence of events
- we are in a transitional stage in which many former ideas must be revised or rejected
- noun (physical chemistry) a distinct state of matter in a system; matter that is identical in chemical composition and physical state and separated from other material by the phase boundary
- the reaction occurs in the liquid phase of the system
More 'phase' Meaning
- noun red color or pigment; the chromatic color resembling the hue of blood
- noun a tributary of the Mississippi River that flows eastward from Texas along the southern boundary of Oklahoma and through Louisiana
More 'red' Meaning
- noun a person is not easily classified and not very interesting
- adjective satellite lacking distinct or individual characteristics; dull and uninteresting
- women dressed in nondescript clothes
- a nondescript novel
More 'nondescript' Meaning
- noun a wad of something chewable as tobacco
plug; wad; quid; cud; chaw.
- noun biting and grinding food in your mouth so it becomes soft enough to swallow
manduction; chewing; mastication.
More 'chew' Meaning
- noun a powerful effect or influence
- the force of his eloquence easily persuaded them
- noun (physics) the influence that produces a change in a physical quantity
- force equals mass times acceleration
More 'force' Meaning
- noun a very small spot
- the plane was just a speck in the sky
- noun (nontechnical usage) a tiny piece of anything
particle; atom; molecule; corpuscle; mote.
More 'speck' Meaning
- noun back and sides of a hog salted and dried or smoked; usually sliced thin and fried
- noun English scientist and Franciscan monk who stressed the importance of experimentation; first showed that air is required for combustion and first used lenses to correct vision (1220-1292)
More 'bacon' Meaning
- verb command with authority
- He directed the children to do their homework
- verb intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
aim; point; place; target.
- He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face
- criticism directed at her superior
- direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself
More 'direct' Meaning
- noun a sum of money allocated for a particular purpose
- the laboratory runs on a budget of a million a year
- noun a summary of intended expenditures along with proposals for how to meet them
- the president submitted the annual budget to Congress
More 'budget' Meaning
- noun horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- noun a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
More 'nail' Meaning
- verb to look at critically or searchingly, or in minute detail
size up; take stock; scrutinise.
- he scrutinized his likeness in the mirror
- verb examine carefully for accuracy with the intent of verification
audit; inspect; scrutinise.
- audit accounts and tax returns
More 'scrutinize' Meaning
- noun Portuguese navigator who led an expedition around the Cape of Good Hope in 1497; he sighted and named Natal on Christmas Day before crossing the Indian Ocean (1469-1524)
Gamma; Vasco da Gamma.
More 'da_gamma' Meaning
- noun an examination conducted at regular intervals to determine whether a candidate is qualified to practice law in a given jurisdiction
- applicants may qualify to take the New York bar examination by graduating from an approved law school
- he passed the bar exam on his third try
More 'bar_examination' Meaning
- noun English explorer who helped found the colony at Jamestown, Virginia; was said to have been saved by Pocahontas (1580-1631)
John Smith; Smith.
More 'captain_john_smith' Meaning
- noun a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
- adjective satellite concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church
- religious texts
- a member of a religious order
- lords temporal and spiritual
- spiritual leaders
- spiritual songs
More 'religious' Meaning
- noun the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat
- cooking can be a great art
- people are needed who have experience in cookery
- he left the preparation of meals to his wife
- verb prepare a hot meal
More 'cooking' Meaning
- adjective not having or showing or requiring special skill or proficiency
- unskilled in the art of rhetoric
- an enthusiastic but unskillful mountain climber
- unskilled labor
- workers in unskilled occupations are finding fewer and fewer job opportunities
- unskilled workmanship
- adjective satellite lacking professional skill or expertise
amateurish; amateur; inexpert.
- a very amateurish job
- inexpert but conscientious efforts
- an unskilled painting
More 'unskilled' Meaning
- noun a natural object that covers or envelops
- under a covering of dust
- the fox was flushed from its cover
More 'natural_covering' Meaning
- noun the sound of something crunching
- he heard the crunch of footsteps on the gravel path
- noun a critical situation that arises because of a shortage (as a shortage of time or money or resources)
- an end-of-the year crunch
- a financial crunch
More 'crunch' Meaning
- adjective satellite clarifying by use of examples
- verb be characteristic of
- This compositional style is exemplified by this fugue
More 'exemplifying' Meaning
- noun a person who requests or seeks something such as assistance or employment or admission
- noun a device for applying a substance
More 'applier' Meaning
- verb make sour or more sour
sour; acetify; acidulate.
- verb turn acidic
More 'acidify' Meaning
- noun a person who drinks alcohol to excess habitually
souse; alcoholic; lush; alky; boozer; soaker.
More 'dipsomaniac' Meaning
- noun chemical agent capable of activity
- noun the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb
- `The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice
More 'active' Meaning
- noun a person who refuses to comply
- adjective boldly resisting authority or an opposing force
- brought up to be aggressive and defiant
- a defiant attitude
More 'noncompliant' Meaning
- noun Scottish missionary and explorer who discovered the Zambezi River and Victoria Falls (1813-1873)
More 'livingstone' Meaning
- noun the real physical matter of which a person or thing consists
- DNA is the substance of our genes
- noun the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience
kernel; center; centre; nitty-gritty; essence; sum; meat; heart; pith; nub; heart and soul; core; inwardness; marrow; gist.
- the gist of the prosecutor's argument
- the heart and soul of the Republican Party
- the nub of the story
More 'substance' Meaning
- noun a merchant who undertakes a trading venture (especially a venture that sends goods overseas)
- noun a person who enjoys taking risks
More 'venturer' Meaning
- noun a detailed critical inspection
- noun applying the mind to learning and understanding a subject (especially by reading)
- mastering a second language requires a lot of work
- no schools offer graduate study in interior design
More 'study' Meaning
- verb invest with or as with a body; give body to
- verb represent, as of a character on stage
More 'personify' Meaning
- noun reading superficially or at random
- noun the act of feeding by continual nibbling
More 'browsing' Meaning
- noun a large indefinite number
plurality; battalion; multitude; large number.
- a battalion of ants
- a multitude of TV antennas
- a plurality of religions
- noun a complete collection of similar things
More 'pack' Meaning
- noun a person who changes something
- an inveterate changer of the menu
- noun an automatic mechanical device on a record player that causes new records to be played without manual intervention
auto-changer; record changer.
More 'changer' Meaning
- noun a very small distance or space
hair; hair's-breadth; whisker.
- they escaped by a hair's-breadth
- they lost the election by a whisker
More 'hairsbreadth' Meaning
- noun a hypothetical object capable of absorbing all the electromagnetic radiation falling on it
full radiator; black body.
- a black body maintained at a constant temperature is a full radiator at that temperature because the radiation reaching and leaving it must be in equilibrium
More 'blackbody' Meaning
- noun a serious disagreement between two groups of people (typically producing tension or hostility)
- noun a ridge of land that separates two adjacent river systems
water parting; watershed.
More 'divide' Meaning
- noun a race between candidates for elective office
run; political campaign.
- I managed his campaign for governor
- he is raising money for a Senate run
- noun a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end
cause; drive; crusade; effort; movement.
- he supported populist campaigns
- they worked in the cause of world peace
- the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant
- the movement to end slavery
- contributed to the war effort
More 'campaign' Meaning
- verb find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws
knock; pick apart; criticize.
- The paper criticized the new movie
- Don't knock the food--it's free
- verb act as a critic
- Those who criticize others often are not perfect, either
More 'criticise' Meaning
- adjective satellite mental or emotional as opposed to physical in nature
- give psychological support
- psychological warfare
- adjective of or relating to or determined by psychology
More 'psychological' Meaning
- verb mix together different elements
mix; conflate; coalesce; commingle; flux; fuse; combine; merge; blend; meld.
More 'immix' Meaning
- noun (computer science) a first test of an experimental product (such as computer software) carried out by the developer
More 'alpha_test' Meaning
- noun the significance of a story or event
- the moral of the story is to love thy neighbor
- adjective concerned with principles of right and wrong or conforming to standards of behavior and character based on those principles
- moral sense
- a moral scrutiny
- a moral lesson
- a moral quandary
- moral convictions
- a moral life
More 'moral' Meaning
- noun an expert at calculation (or at operating calculating machines)
calculator; estimator; computer; figurer.
- noun a handbook of tables used to facilitate computation
More 'reckoner' Meaning
- noun French explorer (with Jacques Marquette) of the upper Mississippi River valley (1645-1700)
Joliet; Jolliet; Louis Joliet.
More 'louis_jolliet' Meaning
- noun the whole amount
aggregate; sum; totality.
- noun a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
More 'total' Meaning
- noun a heterosexual person; someone having a sexual orientation to persons of the opposite sex
straight; heterosexual person; heterosexual.
More 'straight_person' Meaning
- noun the testing of an idea
- it was an experiment in living
- not all experimentation is done in laboratories
- noun the act of conducting a controlled test or investigation
More 'experimentation' Meaning
- noun the jaw in vertebrates that is hinged to open the mouth
jowl; mandible; lower jaw; submaxilla; lower jawbone; mandibula; jawbone.
More 'mandibular_bone' Meaning
- noun (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Sagittarius
- noun a large zodiacal constellation in the southern hemisphere; between Scorpius and Capricornus
More 'sagittarius' Meaning
- noun explorer and United States naval officer; led expeditions to explore Antarctica (1888-1957)
Admiral Byrd; Byrd; Richard E. Byrd.
More 'richard_evelyn_byrd' Meaning
- noun vegetation (such as young shoots, twigs, and leaves) that is suitable for animals to eat
- a deer needs to eat twenty pounds of browse every day
- noun reading superficially or at random
More 'browse' Meaning
- noun a crocheted or knitted garment covering the upper part of the body
- noun a person who perspires
More 'sweater' Meaning
- noun shedding tears
lacrimation; tearing; lachrymation.
- noun wetting with water
- the lawn needs a great deal of watering
More 'watering' Meaning
- noun a reply of denial
- he answered in the negative
- noun a piece of photographic film showing an image with light and shade or colors reversed
More 'negative' Meaning
- verb arrange according to grades
- verb pass imperceptibly from one degree, shade, or tone into another
- The paint on these walls gradates but you don't see it
More 'gradate' Meaning
- noun an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
- noun any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds
- he fell asleep to the music of the wind chimes
More 'music' Meaning
- noun solid unweathered rock lying beneath surface deposits of soil
- noun principles from which other truths can be derived
fundamentals; fundamental principle; basics; basic principle.
- first you must learn the fundamentals
- let's get down to basics
More 'bedrock' Meaning
- noun a faint constellation in the southern hemisphere near Cetus and Phoenix
More 'fornax' Meaning
- noun a subdivision of a particular kind of thing
- what type of sculpture do you prefer?
- noun a person of a specified kind (usually with many eccentricities)
case; eccentric; character.
- a real character
- a strange character
- a friendly eccentric
- the capable type
- a mental case
More 'type' Meaning
- noun a reckless and impetuous person
- adjective satellite characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation; (`brainish' is archaic)
impetuous; brainish; impulsive; madcap; hotheaded.
- a hotheaded decision
- liable to such impulsive acts as hugging strangers
- an impetuous display of spending and gambling
- madcap escapades
More 'tearaway' Meaning
- noun test of the roadworthiness of a vehicle one is considering buying
- verb test a vehicle by driving it
- I want to test drive the new Porsche
More 'test_drive' Meaning
- noun a person who refrains from granting
- noun a person who restrains or checks or holds back
More 'withholder' Meaning
- noun the exposure of an impostor or a fraud
- he published an expose of the graft and corruption in city government
- verb expose or make accessible to some action or influence
- Expose your students to art
- expose the blanket to sunshine
More 'expose' Meaning
- noun a person who removes tangles; someone who takes something out of a tangled state
More 'unraveler' Meaning
- verb grind and knead
- verb chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth
chew; manducate; jaw.
- He jawed his bubble gum
- Chew your food and don't swallow it!
- The cows were masticating the grass
More 'masticate' Meaning
- noun a fully developed person from maturity onward
- noun any mature animal
More 'adult' Meaning
- noun a person who is under the protection or in the custody of another
- noun a district into which a city or town is divided for the purpose of administration and elections
More 'ward' Meaning
- noun the act of grasping
grip; clutches; clutch; clench; grasp; clasp.
- he released his clasp on my arm
- he has a strong grip for an old man
- she kept a firm hold on the railing
- noun understanding of the nature or meaning or quality or magnitude of something
- he has a good grasp of accounting practices
More 'hold' Meaning
- noun an effortful attempt to attain a goal
strain; pains; nisus.
- verb attempt by employing effort
endeavor; endeavour; strive.
- we endeavor to make our customers happy
More 'striving' Meaning
- noun the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating)
ingestion; uptake; consumption.
- noun an opening through which fluid is admitted to a tube or container
More 'intake' Meaning
- noun all the plant life in a particular region or period
- Pleistocene vegetation
- the flora of southern California
- the botany of China
- noun (botany) a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
plant; plant life.
More 'flora' Meaning
- noun a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
- he taught foreign languages
- the language introduced is standard throughout the text
- the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written
- noun (language) communication by word of mouth
oral communication; spoken language; voice communication; speech communication; speech; spoken communication.
- his speech was garbled
- he uttered harsh language
- he recorded the spoken language of the streets
More 'language' Meaning
- noun a person who participates in or is skilled at some game
- noun someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession)
More 'player' Meaning
- noun any material used especially to protect something
packing; packing material.
- verb compress into a wad
compact; wad; bundle; pack.
More 'wadding' Meaning
- noun a protective covering that covers or forms the top of a building
- noun protective covering on top of a motor vehicle
More 'roof' Meaning
- noun a person whose body is marked by religious stigmata (such as marks resembling the wounds of the crucified Christ)
More 'stigmatist' Meaning
- noun (Greek mythology) a giant Boeotian hunter who pursued the Pleiades and was eventually slain by Artemis; was then placed in the sky as a constellation
- noun a constellation on the equator to the east of Taurus; contains Betelgeuse and Rigel
More 'orion' Meaning
- noun a person who archaizes
- noun an expert or collector of antiquities
More 'archaist' Meaning
- noun an item of information that is typical of a class or group
instance; illustration; representative.
- this patient provides a typical example of the syndrome
- there is an example on page 10
- noun a representative form or pattern
- I profited from his example
More 'example' Meaning
- noun the tissue (covered by mucous membrane) of the jaws that surrounds the bases of the teeth
More 'gingiva' Meaning
- noun the elasticity of something that can be stretched and returns to its original length
- verb cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense
- She gave him a black eye
- The draft gave me a cold
More 'give' Meaning
- noun the property of being seasoned with spice and so highly flavored
More 'spicery' Meaning
- noun an engineer who determines the boundaries and elevations of land or structures
- noun someone who conducts a statistical survey
More 'surveyor' Meaning
- noun a state of extreme poverty
neediness; deprivation; privation.
- noun the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable
- there is a serious lack of insight into the problem
- water is the critical deficiency in desert regions
- for want of a nail the shoe was lost
More 'want' Meaning
- noun a person who brings order and organization to an enterprise
- she was the organizer of the meeting
- noun someone who enlists workers to join a union
labor organizer; organiser.
More 'organizer' Meaning
- noun explorer and United States naval officer; led expeditions to explore Antarctica (1888-1957)
Richard Evelyn Byrd; Byrd; Richard E. Byrd.
More 'admiral_byrd' Meaning
- noun the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat
- cooking can be a great art
- people are needed who have experience in cookery
- he left the preparation of meals to his wife
More 'cookery' Meaning
- noun a membrane enclosing and protecting the developing spores especially that covering the sori of a fern
More 'indusium' Meaning
- noun computer that registers bets and divides the total amount bet among those who won
totalizator; pari-mutuel machine; totaliser; totalizer.
More 'totalisator' Meaning
- noun ineffectual chewing (as if without teeth)
- verb cover, fill, fix or smear with or as if with gum
- if you gum the tape it is stronger
More 'gumming' Meaning
- noun either extremity of something that has length
- the end of the pier
- she knotted the end of the thread
- they rode to the end of the line
- the terminals of the anterior arches of the fornix
- noun the point in time at which something ends
- the end of the year
- the ending of warranty period
More 'end' Meaning
- noun the state capital and largest city located in south central Arizona; situated in a former desert that has become a prosperous agricultural area thanks to irrigation
capital of Arizona.
- noun a large monocotyledonous genus of pinnate-leaved palms found in Asia and Africa
More 'phoenix' Meaning
- noun an instance of questioning
inquiry; interrogation; question; query.
- there was a question about my training
- we made inquiries of all those who were present
- noun a search for knowledge
- their pottery deserves more research than it has received
More 'enquiry' Meaning
- verb confirm the truth of
- Please verify that the doors are closed
- verify a claim
- verb check or regulate (a scientific experiment) by conducting a parallel experiment or comparing with another standard
- Are you controlling for the temperature?
More 'verify' Meaning
- noun English explorer who with Sir Richard Burton was the first European to explore Lake Tanganyika; he also discovered Lake Victoria and named it (1827-1864)
Speke; John Hanning Speke.
More 'john_speke' Meaning
- noun any mechanical or electrical device that transmits or modifies energy to perform or assist in the performance of human tasks
- noun an efficient person
- the boxer was a magnificent fighting machine
More 'machine' Meaning
- adjective located at a great distance in time or space or degree
- we come from a far country
- far corners of the earth
- the far future
- a far journey
- the far side of the road
- far from the truth
- far in the future
- noun a terrorist organization that seeks to overthrow the government dominated by Tutsi and to institute Hutu control again
Army for the Liberation of Rwanda; Interahamwe; ALIR; Former Armed Forces.
- in 1999 ALIR guerrillas kidnapped and killed eight foreign tourists
More 'far' Meaning
- verb inquire about
- I asked about their special today
- He had to ask directions several times
- verb conduct an inquiry or investigation of
- The district attorney's office investigated reports of possible irregularities
- inquire into the disappearance of the rich old lady
More 'enquire' Meaning
- noun the act of hopping; jumping upward or forward (especially on one foot)
- noun twining perennials having cordate leaves and flowers arranged in conelike spikes; the dried flowers of this plant are used in brewing to add the characteristic bitter taste to beer
More 'hop' Meaning
- noun embroidery consisting of ornamental needlework on a garment that is made by gathering the cloth tightly in stitches
- verb embellish by sewing in straight lines crossing each other diagonally
- The folk dancers wore smocked shirts
More 'smocking' Meaning
- noun money that is risked for possible monetary gain
- noun a risky act or venture
More 'gamble' Meaning
- verb impregnate with resin to give a special flavor to
- Greek wines are often resinated
More 'resinate' Meaning
- noun a state of confusion and disorderliness
messiness; muss; mussiness.
- the house was a mess
- she smoothed the mussiness of the bed
- noun informal terms for a difficult situation
kettle of fish; fix; muddle; jam; hole; pickle.
- he got into a terrible fix
- he made a muddle of his marriage
More 'mess' Meaning
- noun a narrative song with a recurrent refrain
- noun a narrative poem of popular origin
More 'lay' Meaning
- noun the collection of rules imposed by authority
- civilization presupposes respect for the law
- the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order
- noun legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity
- there is a law against kidnapping
More 'law' Meaning
- noun the upper side of the thighs of a seated person
- he picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap
- noun an area of control or responsibility
- the job fell right in my lap
More 'lap' Meaning
- noun the acquisition of something for payment
- they closed the purchase with a handshake
- noun something acquired by purchase
More 'purchase' Meaning
- noun earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
try; effort; endeavor; endeavour.
- made an effort to cover all the reading material
- wished him luck in his endeavor
- she gave it a good try
- noun the act of attacking
- attacks on women increased last year
- they made an attempt on his life
More 'attempt' Meaning
- noun a small indefinite quantity (especially of a liquid)
- he had a drop too much to drink
- a drop of each sample was analyzed
- there is not a drop of pity in that man
- years afterward, they would pay the blood-money, driblet by driblet"--Kipling
More 'driblet' Meaning
- noun one of three equal parts of a divisible whole
- it contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement
- noun the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the third of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate)
More 'third' Meaning
- verb supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders
- verb draw advantages from
capitalize; take advantage.
- he is capitalizing on her mistake
- she took advantage of his absence to meet her lover
More 'capitalise' Meaning
- noun a reckless impetuous irresponsible person
harum-scarum; swashbuckler; lunatic; madcap; hothead.
- adjective satellite presumptuously daring
- a daredevil test pilot having the right stuff
More 'daredevil' Meaning
- noun green color or pigment; resembling the color of growing grass
- noun a piece of open land for recreational use in an urban area
park; commons; common.
- they went for a walk in the park
More 'green' Meaning
- noun French explorer who explored the St. Lawrence river and laid claim to the region for France (1491-1557)
More 'jacques_cartier' Meaning
- noun a conservative advocate of capitalism
- noun a person who invests capital in a business (especially a large business)
More 'capitalist' Meaning
- noun a reciprocal relation between two or more things
- noun a statistic representing how closely two variables co-vary; it can vary from -1 (perfect negative correlation) through 0 (no correlation) to +1 (perfect positive correlation)
coefficient of correlation; correlation coefficient.
- what is the correlation between those two variables?
More 'correlation' Meaning
- noun (often plural) a command given by a superior (e.g., a military or law enforcement officer) that must be obeyed
- the British ships dropped anchor and waited for orders from London
- noun a degree in a continuum of size or quantity
order of magnitude.
- it was on the order of a mile
- an explosion of a low order of magnitude
More 'order' Meaning
- noun fermented juice (of grapes especially)
- noun a red as dark as red wine
More 'wine' Meaning
- noun (cricket) the division of play during which six balls are bowled at the batsman by one player from the other team from the same end of the pitch
- adjective satellite having come or been brought to a conclusion
concluded; terminated; complete; ended; all over.
- the harvesting was complete
- the affair is over, ended, finished
- the abruptly terminated interview
More 'over' Meaning
- verb become different in some particular way, without permanently losing one's or its former characteristics or essence
- her mood changes in accordance with the weather
- The supermarket's selection of vegetables varies according to the season
- verb be at variance with; be out of line with
depart; deviate; diverge.
More 'vary' Meaning
- noun British explorer of the Arctic and Antarctic; located the north magnetic pole in 1831; discovered the Ross Sea in Antarctica; nephew of Sir John Ross (1800-1862)
Sir James Clark Ross; Ross.
More 'james_clark_ross' Meaning
- noun a very small quantity of something
- he gave only a crumb of information about his plans
- there were few crumbs of comfort in the report
- noun a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible
git; stinker; so-and-so; scum bag; rat; rotter; puke; dirty dog; bum; skunk; stinkpot; lowlife.
- only a rotter would do that
- kill the rat
- throw the bum out
- you cowardly little pukes!
- the British call a contemptible person a `git'
More 'crumb' Meaning
- noun a person who greets
- the newcomers were met by smiling greeters
- adjective giving pleasure or satisfaction or received with pleasure or freely granted
- a welcome relief
- a welcome guest
- made the children feel welcome
- you are welcome to join us
More 'welcomer' Meaning
- noun a collection of rules and procedures and conventions that define accepted accounting practice; includes broad guidelines as well as detailed procedures
generally accepted accounting principles.
More 'gaap' Meaning
- noun English navigator who in 1583 established in Newfoundland the first English colony in North America (1539-1583)
Gilbert; Humphrey Gilbert.
More 'sir_humphrey_gilbert' Meaning
- noun a short newspaper article about a particular person or group
- adjective concerning or affecting a particular person or his or her private life and personality
- a personal favor
- for your personal use
- personal papers
- I have something personal to tell you
- a personal God
- he has his personal bank account and she has hers
More 'personal' Meaning
- adjective satellite hard to endure
- verb make an effort or attempt
try; attempt; seek; essay; assay.
- He tried to shake off his fears
- The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps
- The police attempted to stop the thief
- He sought to improve himself
- She always seeks to do good in the world
More 'trying' Meaning
- verb provide with shelter
- verb fool or hoax
fool; put on; gull; dupe; befool; put one over; cod; put one across; slang.
- The immigrant was duped because he trusted everyone
- You can't fool me!
More 'take_in' Meaning
- noun a constellation in the southern hemisphere between Vela and Canis Major that shaped like the stern of a boat
More 'puppis' Meaning
- adjective displaying numbers rather than scale positions
- digital clock
- digital readout
- adjective relating to or performed with the fingers
More 'digital' Meaning
- noun someone who attempts to prevent terrorism
- adjective intended to prevent terrorism
- the government took counterterror measures
More 'counterterrorist' Meaning
- noun someone whose talk is trivial drivel
- noun a person who dribbles; he needs a bib"
dribbler; drooler; slobberer.
More 'driveller' Meaning
- noun a collection of things that have been combined; an assemblage of separate parts or qualities
- noun a coordinated sequence of chess moves
More 'combination' Meaning
- noun a person who stifles or smothers or suppresses
- he is a real conversation stifler
- I see from all the yawn smotherers that it is time to stop
More 'stifler' Meaning
- noun some abrupt occurrence that interrupts an ongoing activity
- the telephone is an annoying interruption
- there was a break in the action when a player was hurt
- noun an unexpected piece of good luck
good luck; happy chance.
- he finally got his big break
More 'break' Meaning
- noun person who walks in without having an appointment
- the emergency room was overrun with walk-ins
- noun an operative who initiates his own defection (usually to a hostile country) for political asylum
More 'walk-in' Meaning
- noun food made from dough of flour or meal and usually raised with yeast or baking powder and then baked
breadstuff; staff of life.
- noun informal terms for money
moolah; wampum; clams; gelt; kale; lucre; sugar; dinero; simoleons; loot; boodle; lettuce; dough; shekels; scratch; cabbage; pelf; lolly.
More 'bread' Meaning
- noun Florentine navigator who explored the coast of South America; America was named in his honor (1454-1512)
Vespucci; Americus Vespucius.
More 'amerigo_vespucci' Meaning
- noun the flesh of animals (including fishes and birds and snails) used as food
- noun the inner and usually edible part of a seed or grain or nut or fruit stone
- black walnut kernels are difficult to get out of the shell
More 'meat' Meaning
- verb overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself
engorge; gormandize; gormandise; glut; overeat; satiate; englut; stuff; ingurgitate; overindulge; gorge; scarf out; gourmandize; binge; pig out.
- She stuffed herself at the dinner
- The kids binged on ice cream
More 'overgorge' Meaning
- noun a standard against which other conditions can be compared in a scientific experiment
- the control condition was inappropriate for the conclusions he wished to draw
More 'control_condition' Meaning
- noun a cluster of seven stars in Ursa Minor; at the end of the dipper's handle is Polaris
More 'little_dipper' Meaning
- noun rigid connective tissue that makes up the skeleton of vertebrates
- noun the porous calcified substance from which bones are made
More 'bone' Meaning
- noun your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you)
fortune; destiny; fate; portion; lot; circumstances.
- whatever my fortune may be
- deserved a better fate
- has a happy lot
- the luck of the Irish
- a victim of circumstances
- success that was her portion
- noun an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another
chance; fortune; hazard.
- bad luck caused his downfall
- we ran into each other by pure chance
More 'luck' Meaning
- verb unite into one
- The companies consolidated
- verb make firm or secure; strengthen
- consolidate one's gains
- consolidate one's hold on first place
More 'consolidate' Meaning
- noun another word for person; a person not meriting identification
- a strange personage appeared at the door
- noun a person whose actions and opinions strongly influence the course of events
important person; influential person.
More 'personage' Meaning
- noun a harmonious state of things in general and of their properties (as of colors and sounds); congruity of parts with one another and with the whole
- noun capital of the state of New Hampshire; located in south central New Hampshire on the Merrimack river
capital of New Hampshire.
More 'concord' Meaning
- noun a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct
- their principles of composition characterized all their works
- noun a rule or standard especially of good behavior
- a man of principle
- he will not violate his principles
More 'principle' Meaning
- noun (law) someone who owns (is legal possessor of) a business
- he is the owner of a chain of restaurants
- noun a person who owns something
- they are searching for the owner of the car
- who is the owner of that friendly smile?
More 'owner' Meaning
- verb be a success
- verb wash dirt in a pan to separate out the precious minerals
pan off; pan.
More 'pan_out' Meaning
- noun United States explorer who accompanied Peary's expedition to the North Pole and who led many other Arctic trips (1875-1946)
Bartlett; Robert Abram Bartlett; Captain Bob.
More 'robert_bartlett' Meaning
- noun British explorer who mapped the Australian coast (1774-1814)
Matthew Flinders; Sir Matthew Flinders.
- noun bits and splinters and fragments
- it would have shattered in flinders long before it did that damage
More 'flinders' Meaning
- noun broad-leaved evergreen Asiatic shrub with glossy leaves and drooping clusters of white flowers
lily-of-the-valley tree; Pieris japonica; Japanese andromeda.
- noun any of several shrubs of the genus Andromeda having leathery leaves and clusters of small flowers
More 'andromeda' Meaning
- noun hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver
- he sliced his drive out of bounds
- noun the act of controlling and steering the movement of a vehicle or animal
More 'driving' Meaning
- noun an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone
- the quality of mercy is not strained"--Shakespeare
- noun a degree or grade of excellence or worth
- the quality of students has risen
- an executive of low caliber
More 'quality' Meaning