jest Idioms & Phrases
- for mere sport or diversion; not in truth and reality; not in earnest.
And given in earnest what I begged in jest.
verb subject to laughter or ridicule
laugh at; make fun; ridicule; blackguard; poke fun; roast; guy; rib.
- The satirists ridiculed the plans for a new opera house
- The students poked fun at the inexperienced teacher
- His former students roasted the professor at his 60th birthday
- a book containing a collection of jests, jokes, and amusing anecdotes; a Joe Miller.
To break a jest
- to utter a jest. "Patroclus . . . the livelong day break scurril jests." Shak.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters