adjective satellite constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself
- the university is like a self-contained city with shops and all amenities
adjective satellite in full control of your faculties
self-possessed; equanimous; self-collected; collected; poised.
- the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination
- perfectly poised and sure of himself
- more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen
- strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble
- Having self-control; reserved; uncommunicative; wholly engrossed in one's self.
- (Mach.) Having all the essential working parts connected by a bedplate or framework, or contained in a case, etc., so that mutual relations of the parts do not depend upon fastening outside of the machine itself.
Self-contained steam engine
- . (a) A steam engine having both bearings for the crank shaft attached to the frame of the engine . (b) A steam engine and boiler combined and fastened together; a portable steam engine.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!