contain Idioms & Phrases
adjective satellite constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself
- the university is like a self-contained city with shops and all amenities
adjective satellite in full control of your faculties
self-possessed; equanimous; self-collected; collected; poised.
- the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination
- perfectly poised and sure of himself
- more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen
- strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble
Having self-control; reserved; uncommunicative; wholly engrossed in one's self.
(Mach.) Having all the essential working parts connected by a bedplate or framework, or contained in a case, etc., so that mutual relations of the parts do not depend upon fastening outside of the machine itself.
Self-contained steam engine
(a)A steam engine having both bearings for the crank shaft attached to the frame of the engine . (b)A steam engine and boiler combined and fastened together; a portable steam engine.