communion Idioms & Phrases
noun the national church of England (and all other churches in other countries that share its beliefs); has its see in Canterbury and the sovereign as its temporal head
Anglican Church; Church of England.
- communion in the Lord's supper, restricted to those who have received baptism by immersion.
- the bread and wine used in the celebration of the Lord's supper.
Communion in both kinds
- participation in both the bread and wine by all communicants.
Communion in one kind
- participation in but one element, as in the Roman Catholic Church, where the laity partake of the bread only.
- the celebration of the Lord's supper, or the office or service therefor.
noun the table in Christian churches where communion is given
altar; Lord's table.
- the table upon which the elements are placed at the celebration of the Lord's supper.
noun the act of participating in the celebration of the Eucharist
manduction; Communion; sacramental manduction.
- the governor took Communion with the rest of the congregation
- communion in the Lord's supper not restricted to persons who have been baptized by immersion. Cf.
Close communion, under Close, a.
Communion with one's self; thoughts about one's self.