altar Idioms & Phrases
noun a boy serving as an acolyte
Altar cloth or Altar-cloth
- the cover for an altar in a Christian church, usually richly embroidered.
- a cushion laid upon the altar in a Christian church to support the service book.
- . See
- the railing in front of the altar or communion table.
- a wall or partition built behind an altar to protect it from approach in the rear.
- a tomb resembling an altar in shape, etc.
noun used in a communion service
(Eccl.), the high altar.
- place of family devotions.
noun the main altar in a church
- the principal altar in a church.
- an altar in a lady chapel. Shipley.
To lead (as a bride) to the altar
- to marry; said of a woman.