noun something that is oriented vertically
noun a vertical structural member as a post or stake
- the ball sailed between the uprights
adjective at right angles to the plane of the horizon or a base line
- a vertical camera angle
- the monument consists of two vertical pillars supporting a horizontal slab
- measure the perpendicular height
adjective relating to or involving all stages of a business from production to distribution
adjective upright in position or posture
- an erect stature
- erect flower stalks
- for a dog, an erect tail indicates aggression
- a column still vertical amid the ruins
- he sat bolt upright
adjective satellite of or relating to different levels in a hierarchy (as levels of social class or income group)
Cf. F. vertical
. See Vertex
- Of or pertaining to the vertex; situated at the vertex, or highest point; directly overhead, or in the zenith; perpendicularly above one.
Charity . . . is the vertical top of all religion.
- Perpendicular to the plane of the horizon; upright; plumb; as, a vertical line.
- Vertical position; zenith. R.
- (Math.) A vertical line, plane, or circle.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!