tour Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a journey or route all the way around a particular place or area
- they took an extended tour of Europe
- we took a quick circuit of the park
- a ten-day coach circuit of the island
noun a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else)
go; turn; spell.
- it's my go
- a spell of work
noun a period of time spent in military service
hitch; term of enlistment; enlistment; duty tour; tour of duty.
verb make a tour of a certain place
- We toured the Provence this summer
. See Tower
- A tower. Obs.
. See Turn
, v. t.
- A going round; a circuit; hence, a journey in a circuit; a prolonged circuitous journey; a comprehensive excursion; as, the tour of Europe; the tour of France or England.
The bird of Jove stooped from his airy tour.
- A turn; a revolution; as, the tours of the heavenly bodies. Obs.
- (Mil.) anything done successively, or by regular order; a turn; as, a tour of duty.
Syn. -- Journey; excursion. See Journey.
Tour intransitive verb
imperfect & past participle Toured ; present participle & verbal noun Touring
- To make a tourm; as, to tour throught a country.
Tour transitive verb
See 3d Toot
- To toot a horn.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters