swimming Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the act of swimming
- it was the swimming they enjoyed most": "they took a short swim in the pool
verb travel through water
- We had to swim for 20 minutes to reach the shore
- a big fish was swimming in the tank
verb be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom
verb be dizzy or giddy
- my brain is swimming after the bottle of champagne
verb be covered with or submerged in a liquid
- the meat was swimming in a fatty gravy
verb move as if gliding through water
- this snake swims through the soil where it lives
adjective satellite filled or brimming with tears
- swimming eyes
- sorrow made the eyes of many grow liquid
adjective satellite applied to a fish depicted horizontally
- That swims; capable of swimming; adapted to, or used in, swimming; as, a swimming bird; a swimming motion.
- Suffused with moisture; as, swimming eyes.
- The act of one who swims.
to be dizzy.
- Being in a state of vertigo or dizziness; as, a swimming brain.
- Vertigo; dizziness; as, a swimming in the head.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters