verb travel on the surface of water
verb move or pass swiftly and lightly over the surface of
skim; skim over.
verb examine hastily
glance over; rake; skim; run down; scan.
- She scanned the newspaper headlines while waiting for the taxi
verb cause to skip over a surface
skip; skim; skitter.
- Skip a stone across the pond
verb coat (a liquid) with a layer
verb remove from the surface
cream off; skim; skim off; cream.
- skim cream from the surface of milk
verb read superficially
skim over; skim.
adjective satellite used of milk and milk products from which the cream has been removed
- yogurt made with skim milk
- she can drink skimmed milk but should avoid butter
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!