separating Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb act as a barrier between; stand between
- The mountain range divides the two countries
verb force, take, or pull apart
part; disunite; divide; separate.
- He separated the fighting children
- Moses parted the Red Sea
verb mark as different
secernate; severalise; separate; severalize; tell apart; differentiate; distinguish; tell; secern.
- We distinguish several kinds of maple
verb separate into parts or portions
divide; separate; split up; split; carve up; dissever.
- divide the cake into three equal parts
- The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I
verb divide into components or constituents
- Separate the wheat from the chaff
verb arrange or order by classes or categories
sort; separate; assort; sort out; class; classify.
- How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?
verb make a division or separation
verb discontinue an association or relation; go different ways
break; break up; separate; split up; part; split.
- The business partners broke over a tax question
- The couple separated after 25 years of marriage
- My friend and I split up
verb go one's own way; move apart
part; split; separate.
- The friends separated after the party
verb become separated into pieces or fragments
break; split up; fall apart; come apart; separate.
- The figurine broke
- The freshly baked loaf fell apart
verb treat differently on the basis of sex or race
single out; discriminate; separate.
verb come apart
part; divide; separate.
- The two pieces that we had glued separated
verb divide into two or more branches so as to form a fork
ramify; fork; furcate; branch; separate.
- Designed or employed to separate.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters