adjective satellite marked by the appetites and passions of the body
fleshly; carnal; animal.
- animal instincts
- carnal knowledge
- fleshly desire
- a sensual delight in eating
- music is the only sensual pleasure without vice
adjective satellite sexually exciting or gratifying
- sensual excesses
- a sultry look
- a sultry dance
, from sensus
sense: cf. F. sensuel
- Pertaining to, consisting in, or affecting, the sense, or bodily organs of perception; relating to, or concerning, the body, in distinction from the spirit.
Pleasing and sensual rites and ceremonies.
Far as creation's ample range extends,
The scale of sensual, mental powers ascends.
- Hence, not spiritual or intellectual; carnal; fleshly; pertaining to, or consisting in, the gratification of the senses, or the indulgence of appetites; wordly.
These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
The greatest part of men are such as prefer . . . that good which is sensual before whatsoever is most divine.
- Devoted to the pleasures of sense and appetite; luxurious; voluptuous; lewd; libidinous.
No small part of virtue consists in abstaining from that wherein sensual men place their felicity.
- Pertaining or peculiar to the philosophical doctrine of sensualism.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!