adjective satellite rigidly accurate; allowing no deviation from a standard
- rigorous application of the law
- a strict vegetarian
adjective satellite demanding strict attention to rules and procedures
- rigorous discipline
- tight security
- stringent safety measures
, LL. rigorosus
. See Rigor
- Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous definition or demonstration.
He shall be thrown down the Tarpeian Rock
With rigorous hands.
We do not connect the scattered phenomena into their rigorous unity.
- Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter.
- Violent. Obs. "Rigorous uproar."
Syn. -- Rigid; inflexible; unyielding; stiff; severe; austere; stern; harsh; strict; exact.
-- Rig"or*ous*ly, adv. -- Rig"or*ous*ness, n.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!