adjective characterized by socially or conventionally acceptable morals
adjective satellite deserving of esteem and respect
honorable; good; estimable.
- all respectable companies give guarantees
- ruined the family's good name
adjective satellite large in amount or extent or degree
sizeable; healthy; hefty; tidy; sizable; goodly; goodish.
- it cost a considerable amount
- a goodly amount
- received a hefty bonus
- a respectable sum
- a tidy sum of money
- a sizable fortune
, LL. respectabilis
- Worthy of respect; fitted to awaken esteem; deserving regard; hence, of good repute; not mean; as, a respectable citizen. "The respectable quarter of Sicca."
J. H. Newman.
No government, any more than an individual, will long be respected, without being truly respectable.
- Moderate in degree of excellence or in number; as, a respectable performance; a respectable audience.
--Re*spect"a*ble*ness,n. -- Re*spect"a*bly, adv.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!