noun someone who puts text into appropriate form for publication
rewriter; redactor; reviser; rewrite man.
verb formulate in a particular style or language
put; frame; couch; cast.
- I wouldn't put it that way
- She cast her request in very polite language
verb prepare for publication or presentation by correcting, revising, or adapting
- Edit a book on lexical semantics
- she edited the letters of the politician so as to omit the most personal passages
Re*dact" transitive verb
, p. p. of redigere
; pref. red-
, again, back + agere
to put in motion, to drive.
- To reduce to form, as literary matter; to digest and put in shape (matter for publication); to edit.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!