reality Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun all of your experiences that determine how things appear to you
- his world was shattered
- we live in different worlds
- for them demons were as much a part of reality as trees were
noun the state of being actual or real
- the reality of his situation slowly dawned on him
noun the state of the world as it really is rather than as you might want it to be
- businessmen have to face harsh realities
noun the quality possessed by something that is real
Cf. F. réalité
, LL. realitas
. See 3d Real
. and cf. 2d Realty
- The state or quality of being real; actual being or existence of anything, in distinction from mere appearance; fact.
A man fancies that he understands a critic, when in reality he does not comprehend his meaning.
- That which is real; an actual existence; that which is not imagination, fiction, or pretense; that which has objective existence, and is not merely an idea.
And to realities yield all her shows.
My neck may be an idea to you, but it is reality to me.
- See 1st Realty, 2. Loyalty; devotion. Obs.
To express our reality to the emperor.
- (Law) See 2d Realty, 2.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters