verb call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
raise; fire; enkindle; elicit; arouse; evoke; kindle; provoke.
- arouse pity
- raise a smile
- evoke sympathy
verb evoke or provoke to appear or occur
provoke; evoke; call forth; kick up.
- Her behavior provoked a quarrel between the couple
verb provide the needed stimulus for
verb annoy continually or chronically
beset; chivy; chevy; chevvy; harass; hassle; chivvy; harry; plague; molest; provoke.
- He is known to harry his staff when he is overworked
- This man harasses his female co-workers
adjective satellite incited, especially deliberately, to anger
- aggravated by passive resistance
- the provoked animal attacked the child
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!