noun a person engaged in one of the learned professions
noun an athlete who plays for pay
noun an authority qualified to teach apprentices
adjective engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood
- the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications
- began her professional career after the Olympics
- professional theater
- professional football
- a professional cook
- professional actors and athletes
adjective of or relating to or suitable as a profession
- professional organizations
- a professional field such as law
adjective characteristic of or befitting a profession or one engaged in a profession
- professional conduct
- professional ethics
- a thoroughly professional performance
adjective of or relating to a profession
- we need professional advice
- professional training
- professional equipment for his new office
adjective satellite engaged in by members of a profession
- professional occupations include medicine and the law and teaching
- Of or pertaining to a profession, or calling; conforming to the rules or standards of a profession; following a profession; as, professional knowledge; professional conduct. "Pride, not personal, but professional." Macaulay. "A professional sneerer." De Quincey.
- Engaged in by professionals; as, a professional race; -- opposed to amateur.
- A person who prosecutes anything professionally, or for a livelihood, and not in the character of an amateur; a professional worker.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!