primary Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a preliminary election where delegates or nominees are chosen
noun one of the main flight feathers projecting along the outer edge of a bird's wing
primary feather; primary quill.
noun (astronomy) a celestial body (especially a star) relative to other objects in orbit around it
noun coil forming the part of an electrical circuit such that changing current in it induces a current in a neighboring circuit
primary coil; primary winding.
- current through the primary coil induces current in the secondary coil
adjective of first rank or importance or value; direct and immediate rather than secondary
- primary goals
- a primary effect
- primary sources
- a primary interest
adjective satellite not derived from or reducible to something else; basic
adjective satellite most important element
chief; main; master; principal.
- the chief aim of living
- the main doors were of solid glass
- the principal rivers of America
- the principal example
- policemen were primary targets
- the master bedroom
- a master switch
adjective satellite of or being the essential or basic part
- an elementary need for love and nurturing
adjective satellite of primary importance
, fr. primus
first: cf. F. primaire
. See Prime
, and cf. Premier
- First in order of time or development or in intention; primitive; fundamental; original.
The church of Christ, in its primary institution.
These I call original, or primary, qualities of body.
- First in order, as being preparatory to something higher; as, primary assemblies; primary schools.
- First in dignity or importance; chief; principal; as, primary planets; a matter of primary importance.
- (Geol.) Earliest formed; fundamental.
- (Chem.) Illustrating, possessing, or characterized by, some quality or property in the first degree; having undergone the first stage of substitution or replacement.
- That which stands first in order, rank, or importance; a chief matter.
- A primary meeting; a caucus.
- (Zoöl.) One of the large feathers on the distal joint of a bird's wing. See Plumage, and Illust. of Bird.
- (Astron.) A primary planet; the brighter component of a double star. See under Planet.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters