precious Meaning, Definition & Usage
adjective satellite characterized by feeling or showing fond affection for
cherished; wanted; treasured.
- a cherished friend
- children are precious
- a treasured heirloom
- so good to feel wanted
adjective satellite of high worth or cost
- diamonds, sapphires, rubies, and emeralds are precious stones
adjective satellite held in great esteem for admirable qualities especially of an intrinsic nature
- a valued friend
- precious memories
adjective satellite obviously contrived to charm
- an insufferably precious performance
- a child with intolerably cute mannerisms
- there is precious little time left
, F. précieux
, L. pretiosus
, fr. pretium
price, worth, value. See Price
- Of great price; costly; as, a precious stone. "The precious bane."
- Of great value or worth; very valuable; highly esteemed; dear; beloved; as, precious recollections.
She is more precious than rules.
Prov. iii. 15.
Many things which are most precious are neglected only because the value of them lieth hid.
Also used ironically; as, a precious rascal.
- Particular; fastidious; overnice. Obs.
Lest that precious folk be with me wroth.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters