pointed Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively
show; indicate; designate; point.
- I showed the customer the glove section
- He pointed to the empty parking space
- he indicated his opponents
verb be oriented
- The weather vane points North
- the dancers toes pointed outward
verb direct into a position for use
charge; point; level.
- point a gun
- He charged his weapon at me
verb direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
maneuver; head; point; direct; guide; channelise; manoeuvre; channelize; manoeuver; steer.
verb be a signal for or a symptom of
bespeak; indicate; signal; betoken; point.
- These symptoms indicate a serious illness
- Her behavior points to a severe neurosis
- The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued
verb sail close to the wind
verb mark (Hebrew words) with diacritics
verb mark with diacritics
- point the letter
verb mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
verb be positionable in a specified manner
- The gun points with ease
verb intend (something) to move towards a certain goal
aim; point; place; target; direct.
- He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face
- criticism directed at her superior
- direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself
verb indicate the presence of (game) by standing and pointing with the muzzle
- the dog pointed the dead duck
verb give a point to
sharpen; point; taper.
- The candles are tapered
verb repair the joints of bricks
- point a chimney
adjective having a point
adjective satellite direct and obvious in meaning or reference; often unpleasant
- a pointed critique
- a pointed allusion to what was going on
- another pointed look in their direction
Sharp; having a sharp point; as, a. pointedrock
Characterized by sharpness, directness, or pithiness of expression; terse; epigrammatic; especially, directed to a particular person or thing.
His moral pleases, not his pointed wit. Pope.--
Point"ed*ly, adv. -- Point"ed*ness, n.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers The Only Grammar Book You'll Ever Need: A One-Stop Source for Every Writing Assignment The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative