pairing Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes
coupling; union; sexual union; conjugation; mating.
- the casual couplings of adolescents
- the mating of some species occurs only in the spring
noun the act of grouping things or people in pairs
verb form a pair or pairs
pair; pair off; couple; partner off.
- The two old friends paired off
verb bring two objects, ideas, or people together
pair; couple; mate; twin; match.
- This fact is coupled to the other one
- Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?
- The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project
verb occur in pairs
verb arrange in pairs
- Pair these numbers
verb engage in sexual intercourse
pair; couple; mate; copulate.
- Birds mate in the Spring
The act or process of uniting or arranging in pairs or couples.
See To pair off, under Pair, v. i.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race The Little Seagull Handbook with Exercises (Third Edition) McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage, 2nd Edition Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars