verb make a painting
- he painted all day in the garden
- He painted a painting of the garden
verb apply paint to; coat with paint
- We painted the rooms yellow
verb make a painting of
- He painted his mistress many times
verb apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
adjective coated with paint
- freshly painted lawn furniture
adjective satellite lacking substance or vitality as if produced by painting
- in public he wore a painted smile
adjective having makeup applied
adjective satellite having sections or patches colored differently and usually brightly
multi-coloured; varicoloured; multicolour; varicolored; motley; pied; particolored; multi-color; multicolored; multicoloured; multicolor; particoloured; piebald; multi-colored; multi-colour; calico.
- a jester dressed in motley
- the painted desert
- a particolored dress
- a piebald horse
- pied daisies
- Covered or adorned with paint; portrayed in colors.
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.
- (Nat. Hist.) Marked with bright colors; as, the painted turtle; painted bunting.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!