verb fail by aiming too high or trying too hard
verb beat through cleverness and wit
outsmart; beat; outwit; outfox; circumvent.
- I beat the traffic
- She outfoxed her competitors
O`ver*reach" transitive verb
imperfect & past participle Overreached (Overraught obsolete ); present participle & verbal noun Overreaching
- To reach above or beyond in any direction.
- To deceive, or get the better of, by artifice or cunning; to outwit; to cheat.
O`ver*reach" intransitive verb
- To reach too far; as: (a) To strike the toe of the hind foot against the heel or shoe of the forefoot; -- said of horses. (b) (Naut.) To sail on one tack farther than is necessary.
- To cheat by cunning or deception.
- The act of striking the heel of the fore foot with the toe of the hind foot; -- said of horses.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!