noun an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made
master; master copy.
noun something that serves as a model or a basis for making copies
- this painting is a copy of the original
adjective satellite preceding all others in time or being as first made or performed
- the original inhabitants of the Americas
- the book still has its original binding
- restored the house to its original condition
- the original performance of the opera
- the original cast
- retracted his original statement
adjective satellite (of e.g. information) not secondhand or by way of something intermediary
- his work is based on only original, not secondary, sources
adjective being or productive of something fresh and unusual; or being as first made or thought of
- a truly original approach
- with original music
- an original mind
adjective satellite not derived or copied or translated from something else; not an adaptation"
- the play is original
- he kept the original copy and gave her only a xerox
- the translation misses much of the subtlety of the original French
, L. originalis
- Pertaining to the origin or beginning; preceding all others; first in order; primitive; primary; pristine; as, the original state of man; the original laws of a country; the original inventor of a process.
His form had yet not lost
All her original brightness.
#sic. "her" refers to form, apparently considered feminine in gender.
- Not copied, imitated, or translated; new; fresh; genuine; as, an original thought; an original process; the original text of Scripture.
- Having the power to suggest new thoughts or combinations of thought; inventive; as, an original genius.
- Before unused or unknown; new; as, a book full of original matter.
Cf. F. original
- Origin; commencement; source.
It hath it original from much grief.
And spangled heavens, a shining frame,
Their great Original proclaim.
- That which precedes all others of its class; archetype; first copy; hence, an original work of art, manuscript, text, and the like, as distinguished from a copy, translation, etc.
The Scriptures may be now read in their own original.
- An original thinker or writer; an originator. R.
Men who are bad at copying, yet are good originals.
C. G. Leland.
- A person of marked eccentricity. Colloq.
- (Zoöl. & Bot.) The natural or wild species from which a domesticated or cultivated variety has been derived; as, the wolf is thought by some to be the original of the dog, the blackthorn the original of the plum.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!