adjective satellite expressing offensive reproach
adjective satellite (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame
ignominious; shameful; inglorious; black; disgraceful.
- Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands"- Rachel Carson
- an ignominious retreat
- inglorious defeat
- an opprobrious monument to human greed
- a shameful display of cowardice
, fr. opprobrium
. See Opprobrium
- Expressive of opprobrium; attaching disgrace; reproachful; scurrilous; as, opprobrious language.
They . . . vindicate themselves in terms no less opprobrious than those by which they are attacked.
- Infamous; despised; rendered hateful; as, an opprobrious name.
This dark, opprobrious den of shame.
-- Op*pro"bri*ous*ly, adv. -- Op*pro"bri*ous*ness, n.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!