noun a businessperson engaged in retail trade
, OF. marcheant
, F. marchand
, fr. LL. mercatans
, p. pr. of mercatare
to negotiate, L. mercari
to traffic, fr. merx
, wares. See Market
, and cf. Commerce
- One who traffics on a large scale, especially with foreign countries; a trafficker; a trader.
Others, like merchants, venture trade abroad.
- A trading vessel; a merchantman. Obs.
- One who keeps a store or shop for the sale of goods; a shopkeeper. U. S. & Scot.
- Of, pertaining to, or employed in, trade or merchandise; as, the merchant service.
Mer"chant intransitive verb
- To be a merchant; to trade. Obs.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!