masculine Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun a gender that refers chiefly (but not exclusively) to males or to objects classified as male
adjective of grammatical gender
adjective associated with men and not with women
adjective satellite (music or poetry) ending on an accented beat or syllable
- a masculine cadence
- the masculine rhyme of `annoy, enjoy'
, fr. masculus
male, manly, dim. of mas
a male: cf. F. masculin
. See Male
- Of the male sex; not female.
Thy masculine children, that is to say, thy sons.
- Having the qualities of a man; suitable to, or characteristic of, a man; virile; not feminine or effeminate; strong; robust.
That lady, after her husband's death, held the reins with a masculine energy.
- Belonging to males; appropriated to, or used by, males. R. "A masculine church."
- (Gram.) Having the inflections of, or construed with, words pertaining especially to male beings, as distinguished from feminine and neuter. See Gender. -- Mas"cu*line*ly, adv. -- Mas"cu*line*ness, n.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters