loosen Meaning, Definition & Usage
verb make loose or looser
- loosen the tension on a rope
verb make less severe or strict
- The government relaxed the curfew after most of the rebels were caught
verb become less severe or strict
- The rules relaxed after the new director arrived
verb disentangle and raise the fibers of
tease apart; tease.
verb cause to become loose
- undo the shoelace
- untie the knot
- loosen the necktie
verb make less dense
verb become loose or looser or less tight
- The noose loosened
- the rope relaxed
Loos"en transitive verb
, v. t.
imperfect & past participle Loosened ; present participle & verbal noun Loosening
- To make loose; to free from tightness, tension, firmness, or fixedness; to make less dense or compact; as, to loosen a string, or a knot; to loosen a rock in the earth.
After a year's rooting, then shaking doth the tree good by loosening of the earth.
- To free from restraint; to set at liberty..
It loosens his hands, and assists his understanding.
- To remove costiveness from; to facilitate or increase the alvine discharges of.
Loos"en intransitive verb
- To become loose; to become less tight, firm, or compact.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters