noun any dialect of the language of ancient Rome
noun an inhabitant of ancient Latium
noun a person who is a member of those peoples whose languages derived from Latin
adjective of or relating to the ancient Latins or the Latin language
adjective relating to people or countries speaking Romance languages
adjective relating to languages derived from Latin
adjective of or relating to the ancient region of Latium
F., fr. L. Latinus
belonging to Latium, Latin, fr. Latium
a country of Italy, in which Rome was situated. Cf. Ladin
, Lateen sail
, under Lateen
- Of or pertaining to Latium, or to the Latins, a people of Latium; Roman; as, the Latin language.
- Of, pertaining to, or composed in, the language used by the Romans or Latins; as, a Latin grammar; a Latin composition or idiom.
- A native or inhabitant of Latium; a Roman.
- The language of the ancient Romans.
- An exercise in schools, consisting in turning English into Latin. Obs.
- (Eccl.) A member of the Roman Catholic Church.
Lat"in transitive verb
- To write or speak in Latin; to turn or render into Latin. Obs.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!