noun an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
aim; design; intent; purpose.
- his intent was to provide a new translation
- good intentions are not enough
- it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs
- he made no secret of his designs
noun (usually plural) the goal with respect to a marriage proposal
- his intentions are entirely honorable
noun an act of intending; a volition that you intend to carry out
- my intention changed once I saw her
, L. intentio
. See Intend
, and cf. Intension
- A stretching or bending of the mind toward of the mind toward an object; closeness of application; fixedness of attention; earnestness.
Intention is when the mind, with great earnestness, and of choice, fixes its view on any idea.
- A determination to act in a certain way or to do a certain thing; purpose; design; as, an intention to go to New York.
Hell is paved with good intentions.
- The object toward which the thoughts are directed; end; aim.
In [chronical distempers], the principal intention is to restore the tone of the solid parts.
- The state of being strained. See Intension. Obs.
- (Logic) Any mental apprehension of an object.
Syn. -- Design; purpose; object; aim; intent; drift; purport; meaning. See Design.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!