noun a holding device
- a towel holder
- a cigarette holder
- an umbrella holder
noun a person who holds something
- they held two hostages
- he holds the trophy
- she holds a United States passport
noun the person who is in possession of a check or note or bond or document of title that is endorsed to him or to whoever holds it
- the bond was marked `payable to bearer'
- One who is employed in the hold of a vessel.
- One who, or that which, holds.
- One who holds land, etc., under another; a tenant.
- (Com.) The payee of a bill of exchange or a promissory note, or the one who owns or holds it.
✍ Holder is much used as the second part of a compound; as, shareholder, officeholder, stockholder,etc.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!