verb become more extreme
verb make more extreme; raise in quantity, degree, or intensity
- This will enhance your enjoyment
- heighten the tension
verb increase the height of
- The athletes kept jumping over the steadily heightened bars
verb make (one's senses) more acute
- This drug will sharpen your vision
verb make more intense, stronger, or more marked
intensify; deepen; compound.
- The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her
- Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness
- This event only deepened my convictions
Height"en transitive verb
imperfect & past participle Heightened present participle & verbal noun Heightening
- To make high; to raise higher; to elevate.
- To carry forward; to advance; to increase; to augment; to aggravate; to intensify; to render more conspicuous; -- used of things, good or bad; as, to heighten beauty; to heighten a flavor or a tint. "To heighten our confusion."
An aspect of mystery which was easily heightened to the miraculous.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!