groundwork Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained
foundation; basis; base; fundament; cornerstone.
- the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture
noun lowest support of a structure
foundation; substructure; understructure; base; fundament; foot.
- it was built on a base of solid rock
- he stood at the foot of the tower
noun preliminary preparation as a basis or foundation
- we are prepared today because of groundwork that was done ten years ago
- That which forms the foundation or support of anything; the basis; the essential or fundamental part; first principle.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters