generally Meaning, Definition & Usage
adverb usually; as a rule
by and large; more often than not; mostly.
- by and large it doesn't rain much here
adverb without distinction of one from others
in the main; in general.
- he is interested in snakes in general
adverb without regard to specific details or exceptions
broadly speaking; loosely; broadly.
- he interprets the law broadly
- In general; commonly; extensively, though not universally; most frequently.
- In a general way, or in general relation; in the main; upon the whole; comprehensively.
Generally speaking, they live very quietly.
- Collectively; as a whole; without omissions. Obs.
I counsel that all Israel be generally gathered unto thee.
2 Sam. xvii. ll.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters