verb make strong or stronger
strengthen; beef up.
- This exercise will strengthen your upper body
- strengthen the relations between the two countries
verb enclose by or as if by a fortification
verb prepare oneself for a military confrontation
build up; gird; arm.
- The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East
- troops are building up on the Iraqi border
verb add nutrients to
verb add alcohol to (beverages)
For"ti*fy transitive verb
, L. fortificare
strong + -ficare
(in comp.) to make. See Fort
, and -fy
imperfect & past participle Fortified ; present participle & verbal noun Fortifying
- To add strength to; to strengthen; to confirm; to furnish with power to resist attack.
Timidity was fortified by pride.
Pride came to the aid of fancy, and both combined to fortify his resolution.
Sir W. Scott.
- To strengthen and secure by forts or batteries, or by surrounding with a wall or ditch or other military works; to render defensible against an attack by hostile forces.
For"ti*fy intransitive verb
- To raise defensive works.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!