noun a fricative sound (especially as an expression of disapproval)
hissing; hushing; sibilation; hiss.
- the performers could not be heard over the hissing of the audience
noun a complete failure
- the play was a dismal flop
verb end weakly
taper off; peter out; fizzle out.
- The music just petered out--there was no proper ending
Fiz"zle intransitive verb
imperfect & past participle Fizzled ; present participle & verbal noun Fizzling
- To make a hissing sound.
It is the easest thinng, sir, to be done,
As plain as fizzling.
- To make a ridiculous failure in an undertaking. Colloq. or Low
- A failure or abortive effort. Colloq.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!