fighting Meaning, Definition & Usage
noun the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
scrap; combat; fight.
- a fight broke out at the hockey game
- there was fighting in the streets
- the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap
verb be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
contend; struggle; fight.
- the tribesmen fought each other
- Siblings are always fighting
- Militant groups are contending for control of the country
verb fight against or resist strongly
defend; fight down; oppose; fight back; fight.
- The senator said he would oppose the bill
- Don't fight it!
verb make a strenuous or labored effort
- She struggled for years to survive without welfare
- He fought for breath
verb exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
campaign; agitate; fight; push; crusade; press.
- The liberal party pushed for reforms
- She is crusading for women's rights
- The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate
adjective satellite engaged in or ready for military or naval operations
- on active duty
- the platoon is combat-ready
- review the fighting forces
Qualified for war; fit for battle.
An host of fighting men. 2 Chron. xxvi. 11.
Occupied in war; being the scene of a battle;Pope. as, a. fightingfield
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income McGraw-Hill Handbook of English Grammar and Usage, 2nd Edition