noun something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
protrusion; extrusion; bulge; gibbousness; hump; prominence; bump; swelling; jut; gibbosity; protuberance.
- the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge
- the hump of a camel
- he stood on the rocky prominence
- the occipital protuberance was well developed
- the bony excrescence between its horns
noun (pathology) an abnormal outgrowth or enlargement of some part of the body
, L. excrescentia
excrescences, neut. pl. of p. pr. of excrescere
. See Excrescent
- An excrescent appendage, as, a wart or tumor; anything growing out unnaturally from anything else; a preternatural or morbid development; hence, a troublesome superfluity; an incumbrance; as, an excrescence on the body, or on a plant. "Excrescences of joy."
The excrescences of the Spanish monarchy.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!