verb recover through digging
- Schliemann excavated Troy
- excavate gold
verb find by digging in the ground
turn up; dig up.
- I dug up an old box in the garden
verb form by hollowing
- Carnegie had a lake excavated for Princeton University's rowing team
- excavate a cavity
verb remove the inner part or the core of
- the mining company wants to excavate the hillside
Ex"ca*vate transitive verb
, p. p. of excavare
to excavate; ex
out + cavare
to make hollow, cavus
hollow. See Cave
imperfect & past participle Excavated; present participle & verbal noun Excavating
- To hollow out; to form cavity or hole in; to make hollow by cutting, scooping, or digging; as, to excavate a ball; to excavate the earth.
- To form by hollowing; to shape, as a cavity, or anything that is hollow; as, to excavate a canoe, a cellar, a channel.
- (Engin.) To dig out and remove, as earth.
The material excavated was usually sand.
E. L. Corthell.
Sharpen your Skills with the Masters
"Rowling never met an adverb she didn't like."
-Stephen King on J.K Rowling's excessive use of adverbs.
Fear not the Adverb Hell!